CONTINUING CARE ASSISTANT
The need for care workers is increasing as our population ages. A role in continuing care will see you providing support to clients and their families that need assistance; whether elderly, disabled, or recovering from a serious illness or injury.
Your job will be to assist individuals with their daily routines, including preparing meals and feeding, maintaining personal hygiene, running errands, monitoring medication and recovery, and informal counseling support. Studying to become a Continuing Care Assistant at Eastern College will provide you with the skills required to meet provincial standards, to help you find a job in your chosen field that much quicker.
- Approved by the Health Association of Nova Scotia CCA Program Advisory Committee
- Alzheimer Disease and Other Dementia Care Course
- Standard First Aid/CPR Level C
- Food Hygiene Course or Basic Food Safety Training (BFST)
- Palliative Care Front-Line Education
- WHMIS Awareness
- Occupational Health and Safety Act Introduction
The Continuing Care Assistant Diploma program will qualify grads to pursue positions such as Continuing Care Assistant, Care Team Assistant, Home Support Worker, Home Care Worker or Personal Care Worker.
The aging population and the increased need for extended-care promotes employment increase in this occupation. This will gradually become more significant, slowly at first with notable acceleration in 2016.*
*Source: “Nurse Aides, Orderlies and Patient Service Associates.” Government of Canada, Service Canada, Quebec, Programs Agreements and Partnership, Regional Directorate.
EMPLOYERS WHO HAVE RECENTLY HIRED EASTERN GRADS
- Northwood Homecare Limited
- Ocean View Continuing Care Centre
- We Care
- Revera Home Health
- Bayshore Health Care
• Grade 12 or equivalent or mature student status. Please call the campus for more details.
• Mature Student Status applicants may be considered
• Clear Conduct Certificate: Students acquiring a Clear
• Conduct Certificate for admission into a program take on the rationale that it is valid. Students are solely accountable for any offences that remain uncovered which when discovered by the investigation preclude the student from sustainable field placement or employment.
• A Vulnerable Sector Search is also required
• Mentally and physically able to complete requirements for job
• Provide their own transportation that is acceptable to their clinical agencies
• Complete a standardized health form and proof of immunization