Visa and Work Permits for International Students

As an international student, you will need valid documents to live, study and work in Canada. On this page, you will find immigration information and links to further support you.

Apply for a Study Permit

A study permit grants students permission to study in Canada for six months or longer. A study permit is required to cover the entire duration of your studies. Processing times may vary from country to country and certain conditions must be met throughout the student’s time in Canada.


Extend Your Study Permit

In most cases, you must apply online to extend your study permit before your current permit expires. A study permit is not a visa and students from most countries will require a visa to enter Canada.

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A temporary resident visa is an official document placed in a person’s passport to show that they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. As an international student you will require a TRV or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) depending on your country of citizenship.

Inviting Family Members

As an international student, you may invite your spouse or common-law partner, children, or parent to accompany you to Canada during your studies. Visiting family members must apply for a visitor visa or an eTA if they are from a visa-exempt country.

Working in New Brunswick

To help support the province’s increasing labour needs, a new immigration stream is in the process of being approved. Starting soon, international students who graduate from Eastern College in New Brunswick and who have studied in one of 19 targeted occupations will be able to apply to the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). International graduates who are not currently eligible for the federal Post-Graduation Work Permit Program will now be eligible to work and live in the province and obtain permanent residency. We will publish more information as it becomes available.

Additional information on immigration can be found at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and specific information on the Provincial Nominee Program can be found on their dedicated page.