Personal Support Worker
Aid the senior population and launch your new fulfilling career by training as a personal support worker. Plus, you may qualify for a full-tuition scholarship when you start this fall.
As a Personal Support Worker graduate, you will qualify for positions such as Home Care Agencies, Nursing Homes, Private Residences and Hospitals.
Employers Who Have Hired Eastern Grads
- Ridgewood Addiction Services
- Forest Dale Nursing Home
- York Care Centre
- Pine Grove Nursing Home
- Eden Special Care Home
- Alleira Living
*Employment Rate based on 2019 contactable Eastern graduates employed in a related field.
NOC Code: 4412, 3413 - **Wage data based on NOC Code 4412 and rounded down to the nearest dollar, based on New Brunswick data. Local (or regional) income may vary. Last updated in July, 2021.
The need for home support workers and personal care attendants is increasing as our population ages. A role in this rewarding field will see you providing support to clients and their families that need assistance; whether elderly, disabled, or recovering from a serious illness or injury.
As a Personal Support Worker, your job will be to assist individuals with their daily routines, including preparing meals and feeding, maintaining personal hygiene, running errands, monitoring medication and recovery, and informal counselling support. Studying to become a Personal Support Worker at Eastern College will provide you with the skills required to meet provincial standards, to help you find a job in your chosen field that much quicker.
Students enrolled in this program receive:
- CPR (HCP–Healthcare Provider Level / BLS-Basic Life Support)/First Aid
- National Association of Career Colleges for Personal Support Workers
- Gentle Persuasive Approach Certificate
- Intramuscular/Subcutaneous Insulin Administration Certificate
Course Listings: New Brunswick
Acute Care for Personal Support Worker
Care Planning, Restorative Care, documentation, Working in the Community
Cognitive and Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
CPR and First Aid (16)
Assisting the Dying Person
Gentle Persuasive Approach
Assisting with Medications + IM/SC
Assisting with Personal Hygiene
Abuse and Neglect
Assisting the Family, Growth and Development
Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
Safety and Mobility
Software Lab - Computer Fundamentals
- Grade 12 or equivalent or mature student status. For those without high school completion, please refer to the Program Overview at the top of this page or speak to your Education Consultant.
- Clear Conduct Certificate
- Vulnerable Sector Search
- Completion of a standard immunization form within 45 days of commencement of studies
- Demonstrated fluency in English which must be verified through one of the following
1. NACC Technical Literacy Exam (passing score of 18)
2. IELTS – International English Language Testing (IELTS) – Minimum average score of 6.0 with no subject test score lower than 5.5;
3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet based test (iBT) – overall 80, with the minimum in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
Take a quick and easy quiz to find out more about yourself, your goals, and identify your strengths and social style. This quiz gives you suggestions for what career areas you might consider based on your likes and preferences. Give it a try now!
“Love this place-great staff and instructors who help you in all areas for success. If you go to class, do homework and participate, you will do well. Great bunch of people!”